Hey YOU!
Oh goodness! How I am missing you guys J Believe me! I think all was well until Jenn
came over. It was as if someone offered me a taste of Canada , but
before I could enjoy the whole meal she had to leave…so I’m left with the
aftertaste…and an empty Canadian stomach! Gotta love my metaphors, eh? So yes. Know that I miss you, and will
probably bombard you with hugs as soon I see you, after all I’ve been storing
them up for a long time =)
It has been three weeks now since Jenn came over. There were
so many highlights to this week! I hope you don’t mind Jenn, but now that you’re
in my blog I have to give you a proper introduction for the sake of my readers.
J I began piano lessons with Jenn when I was 7 years old.. She is one of the most driven, compassionate and giving
teachers I have ever met. Thankfully, she agreed to come and spend a week in London ! I must say, she
came at the right time because I was just starting to get the itch, you know
what I’m talking about? The itch where you just need to leave a city? Well, she definitely helped me to appreciate more
that London has
to offer.
This week consisted of a boat tour down the river Thames , going to see the play Wicked (which, I think we both agreed was a huge highlight), a long
twisted journey up St. Paul’s church, an excursion to Canterbury, Easter Vigil
at Westminster Abbey, roaming around leister square/Piccadilly circus, a random
encounter with a Brazilian pianist (after all our talk of piano, perhaps this
was fate!?), a voice recital, The Old Cheshire Cheese pub (of which Oliver
Goldsmith, Mark Twain, Alfred Tennyson were said to have dined) and of course… a full day of shopping J
Canterbury Castle? haha.
Quirky highlights would have to include an impromptu train
ride over to Paddington station…to pick up Paddington Bear umbrellas of course
;) And since we’re on the subject, who
knew that there were smart board programs of Paddington bear’s trip to France ? I
enjoyed that lesson… poor bear, mistaken for an onion seller..
Jenn also came well prepared. Years of British comedies
served her well as she was familiar with much of the lingo. I didn’t have to
explain that Sainsbury’s was a common grocery shop, or even how the tube
station works for very long. Jenn owned this
place.
Teaching has been going well. I’m so glad to be working as
supply. I am now called into 5 schools on regular basis, which is great because you actually get to know the classes and people that work there.
As you know,teachers are in demand here, and there have been a few contract
opportunities have come up- but to be honest with you, I would never be a
teacher here permanently. The education system itself is so different. . when I
tell the teachers here what its like in Canada they are quite literally
dumbfounded. In London, detailed lesson plans for
every subject are to be submitted before every school week. I’ve mentioned
differentiated learning before, but there’s to be a minimum of three different
group assignments (for the different types of learners) for every lesson.
When I think back to PDP and my practicum experience, I
remember being told that I could expect to get through half of what I actually planned for each lesson. Continuing work or a project from a previous class was often expected.This concept, of flexibility and time allowance would
be unheard of in the UK .
After all, there are specific outcomes for each lesson, and it all must be completed by the end of the lesson.
Teachers are put under considerable amounts of pressure here. What about Marking
you may wonder? That’s a whole other story I wont get into today. But really, can you imagine… You’ve been
teaching for 35 years and you’re still expected to write out a detailed lesson
plan for every lesson… You still have to submit the comments and marks you have
given out for each subject on a bi-monthly basis… you still have people coming
into your classroom, twice a year to ensure the quality of your work, and
outcome of your students…
Teaching stuff aside… I have decided to keep the momentum
going here and take advantage of our bank holiday next Monday. I met a Canadian gal from Ontario a few months back in a school
staffroom. We’ve met up a few times now and just yesterday decided that it
would be fun to travel someplace new next weekend!!! Today is booking day so…hope it all works out.
I’d love to tell you where…but surprises are much more fun! Stay posted ;)
To any dutch people reading this- you will be happy to know
that I met up with cousin Martijn yesterday for dinner, and that I will be
spending some time with his family in June, along with Oma’s side of the family-
Carolline+ Lauri! J
To anybody from the ranch or Coquitlam alliance – I am
excited to say that Jonny Mo from oxford is coming over with a few to hangout
in London
today!! So excited!! Yay Canadians!!!
Anyways! That’s about it. Keep me posted!!
XOX
Chels

Oh my gosh, that sounds like an insane amount of work for teachers to do. I wonder what the history of that requirement (detailed lesson plans, all the time) is? No wonder they are short of teachers. Is it different in private schools there?
ReplyDelete